Saturday, May 26, 2007

(No Title): That Bodes Well For My NaNoWriMo Novel

The following was written "for" NaNoWriMo. I will not be using this in my novel. I'm just trying to get to know my character. The rules say that outlines are okay. I'm outlining my character.


Air from outside rushed in through the open windows. The breeze blew lazily around the kitchen, messing Jordan's hair and distracting her from her work.


"Can I go outside now?" Her hair was tied up in little pigtails, keeping it out of her face despite the slight breeze.


"Once you finish your s's we'll go out for a break." Her mother sounded calm. The sun shone brightly through the sliding glass door that separate the dining room from the freedom of the backyard.


"But Mom," It wasn't fair, all the other kids got to go on the big yellow bus to the building with the cool playground that Jordan liked to play on during the weekend. They didn't have to sit inside and practice their s's, which Jordan was still trying to tell her Mom were just squiggles. "Can't we play now and do the squiggles later?"


The pleading usually worked for a little while, but this time it seemed to have no effect.


"Jordan," Her Mom grabbed her writing hand and a wave of emotions rolled through Jordan: fustration, guilt, determination. She didn't know what to do. The emotions were not her own, they belonged to her mother. She said nothing as her hand was dragged through the shape of the squiggle. Once her hand was released she felt the foreign emotions fade, and disappear entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment