Friday, October 20, 2006

Creative Writing & "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things"

Prompt: Why is a kidnapper afraid of the dark?


He wasn't a bad person, just not a particularly good person either. It wasn't like he enjoyed hurting these people, but he needed the money.


It was the middle of the night and he'd locked this man's kids in the coat closet across the hall. The man and his wife sat on their bed, hands entwined. They refused to be separated. It didn't matter much to him, as long as they didn't try anything.


All the lights in the house stayed off during his break in. He didn't want any night owl neighbors getting suspicious. The house was dark, it was a neccessity, one he didn't like.


The dark was full of unknowns and people who did bad things, like him.


It was night when his mother was murdered and it was night when his father died in his sleep. The dark scared him, and it always would, but what scared him even more was that he had become one of the bad things in the dark.


^*^*^*^*^



The next piece of writing is based on the painting The Tower by Salvador Dali. I was handed a printed off copy of the picture and told to write.



A poorly constucted tower, one window and one door, but a tower none the less. Not only a towerm but a sign of hope. The only place I would truely be safe. Safe from drugs, alcohol, cars, radiation, bad people, life. Nothing could hurt me in this safe place, with it's perfect sunset, sandy beaches and glorious ocean.


The one door made sense, only one place to go from here: the real world. And the window, aimed not at the beach, but at the outside world.


This place is my sanctuary, but to live a real life I must experience the world outside of my mind. Meet new people and take chances.


I will control my own destiny. This tower is my back-up plan.



^*^*^*^*^



And now...Supernatural: My review of "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things".


I've seen it twice today, I didn't get to watch it when it aired last night. Thank god YouTube. And the wonderful people on there. Rhindon, BuenaEngel, and MyPoems32 are my heros. All three of them had the entire episode up today.


It seems that the lines I liked were liked by others as well. Rather than watching the episode again right now I'm copying lines that people have put in reviews. And I'll try to remember the right wording for lines nobody noted.


As a note: some of this is dirty, and it's not my fault. I didn't write the lines used on the show. I just write my little pieces about it.


"Next on the skin channel, cosmic erotica 4 the tale of two Latin beauties."
Sam, you dirty, dirty boy. Now we know what Sam does while Dean goes to the bars to pick up girls. It's good to know that Sam is actually a guy. Dean's expression when he comes in the room is, as LanaLang1 (of youtube.com) put it, 'I totally know what you were doing'. I like that the box, or paper on the top of the tv says 'XXX' and can be seen in various parts of the scene.


Dean "We've got to burn the bones"
Sam "Burn the bones?...Are you high?"
I agree with LanaLang1 (of youtube.com), Dean's expression is priceless. He looks like he's trying to decide whether or not he's high.


Sam: "What the hell's the matter with you, Dean."
Dean: "Back off."
-------
Sam: "Stop it, that's enough okay! Enough!"
Dean: "Sam, I know what I'm doing."
Sam: "No, you don't. At all. Dean, I don't scare easy, but man, you are scarin' the crap outta me."
Dean: "Don't be over dramatic Sam."
Sam: "You're lucky this turned out to be a real case, 'cuz if it wasn't you woulda just found something else to kill."
Dean: "Wha--?"
Sam: "You're on edge, you're erratic. Except for when you're hunting. 'Cuz then you're down right scary. You're tailspinning man. And you refuse to talk about it. And you won't let me help you."
Dean: "I can take care of myself, thanks."
Sam:" No, you can't. And you know what? You're the only one who thinks you should have to. You don't have to handle this on your own, Dean. No one can."
Dean: "Sam, if you bring up Dad's death one more time I swear..."
Sam: "Please, Dean, it's killing you, please. We've already lost Dad. We've lost Mom. I've lost Jess. And now I'm going to lose you too?"
Go Sam!! Older siblings don't like needing help. The very last line of that makes me sad. They've both lost so many people. I'm Sam said all this stuff. Dean helped Sam with Jess's death and the visions in the first season, and now it's Sam 's turn to help Dean. And he needs help, lots of it.


Dean: "Hello! Neil! It's your grief counselors. We've come to hug."
I love Dean. I love the one-liners. I'd take a hug.


Dean: "Well, it takes two to, you know, have hard-core sex."
Another great one-liner.


I love the very last scene. Before I had watched it my friend had 'ambushed' me in school: "Did you watch it? Oh my god, I can't believe he cried!" Me: "What?!!!" I'm really glad they played the last scene the way they did. Where Dean figures out that their Dad sacrificed himself for him(Dean). And then he turns to Sam and asks the question that got me very close to crying: "You wanted to what I was feelin', well that's it. So tell me, what could you possibly say to make that all right?" I wanted to jump into the computer and give Dean a hug (moreso than I usually do I mean). I'm glad he didn't just break down and start sobbing. I think that would have been ALOT much.


I liked this episode. I thought Dean was scarier last episode when he killed the vampire with that huge saw, but this epi he wasn't even thinking things through completely with regards to the case. He kept jumping to conclusions. I liked the fake ceremony to lure Angela to her grave. It was a really smart idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment