Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Twilight Chapter Reviews: 01. First Sight

I am a horrible, horrible procrastinator. I have been sitting here with my chapter 01 notes open next to me for about two hours. Now I am stopping my run of procrastination and writing this post. Yay for me!


I read this chapter and write down a bunch of ideas and quotes that I wanted to react to.


Number 01. Bella's problem with sharing a bathroom with Charlie. I have two separate, yet similar reactions to this. Reaction the first, I live in a house with four people, three of whom are women and two of those women are teenagers. We share one bathroom. The idea of sharing a bathroom with one other person does not seem as bad as Bella makes it out to be. Reaction the second, COLLEGE. Hello, in most dorms bathrooms are shared with like 20 people. I was lucky enough to get a private bathroom that I only shared with my roommate, but most have to share with an entire floor of people. What was Bella planning on doing when she went to college? Anyway. I think her reaction to sharing a bathroom was a little bit over-played. It's only one other person that she's sharing with after all.


Number 02. "No one was going to bite me" (pg. 14). This line is from when Bella has just arrived at school and is getting out of her truck to go to her first class. I like how his line is kind of ironic once you've read the books. The idea that Bella thinking that no one would bite her was a placating thought, but by the end of this book she's at an impasse with Edward where she wants to be bitten. I wonder is this is a line Stephanie Meyer planned or if she just coincidentally used the phrase "no one's going to bite you."


"They were two girls, one a porcelain-colored blonde, and the other also pale, with light brown hair" (pg. 15). On first read I thought this sentence was about Rosalie and Alice, but then I got to their descriptions and realized it wasn't about them at all. It was just about some pale students.


"As I watched, the small girl rose with her tray -- unopened soda, unbitten apple -- and walked away with a quick, graceful lope that belonged on the runway" (pg. 19). Hmm... "...unbitten apple..." sounds a lot like the image on the cover.


"So, did you stab Edward Cullen with a pencil, or what?" (pg. 25). This line is hilarious. I love it! It's such a teenager thing to say, and it's a great way for Bella to learn that Edward was reacting to her and not that they way he was acting was normal for him, without her having to ask about it. Very smooth.


I like this chapter. I flows so well into the next chapter that I didn't even see the chapter heading page for chapter 02. I didn't realize I was in the next chater until page 37 when I was like "hmm, this chapter is really long". I like how this chapter introduces new characters. I think it's very realistic that Bella can't remember Jessica's name and how she's kind of overwhelmed by everything her first day. I like the way Stephanie Meyer introduces the Cullens and the descriptions she uses so that everyone can see them as she does.


Chapter 02 and probably 03 to come within the next couple days. On a completely random and unrelated note, I am watching Thoughtcrimes for, like, the ninth time. It's got Joe Flanigan in it, which is why I've seen it when most people have never even heard of it.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.champlain.edu/orientation/
    Tell me if in the top picture you see a girl with frizzy red hair (me), and a girl with a pink and white striped shirt and a blue and black bag (you).

    anyway. love your review.. you found a lot of stuff that probably wouldn't have crossed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally see us! OMG we're famous now!!

    ReplyDelete