Monday, November 06, 2006

Creative Writing Group: The Fruits Of My Labor

Prompt: Combine at least two of the following fairy tales into an at least slightly serious story: Snow white, Sleeping Beauty, Thumbelina, Beauty and the Beast, Rapunzel, Cinderella, Goldilocks, Little Red Riding Hood, Princess and the Pea, Pinocchio, and the Little Mermaid.


"I will have the best story!!"


"But sweetie, it's just--"


"I-Don't-Care!! Mine will be the best!"


This conversation sounded like many her and her daughter had had in the years past. Once a year actually, just weeks before the deadline for Write The Way's annual short story contest.


Since her daughter, Anna, had first heard about the contest 12 years ago she had wanted to win it. So every year Anna wrote out a new story, and every year it was better than she'd ever written before. And every year her story sounded something like "once upon a time there was a girl, who had a dog. They were best friends, and they played in the park and ran around together until the end of time. The end." And for the past 12 years Anna had been getting letters from Write The Right Way thanking her for her submission.


This year however, Anna was determined to win, even if it meant cheating to do it. Anna sat in the middle of her bedroom floor surrounded by letter laid on ripped open envelopes.


"What is this?!" Her mother questioned loudly.


These are all the stories that were going to be sent in. I'm using them for ideas to write my story." She wrote quickly in her notebook. "There. I'm done." She handed her mother the notebook. The story was like this:


Once upon a time there was a girl. She wore one glass slipper and one red sequined slipper. She had long hair and seven little people that followed her around. She was allergic to apples and peas and fell asleep alot. She liked to go into other peoples houses and eat the food and sleep in their beds. Her father was kidnapped by a mysterious beast that lived in a castle. She delivered baked goods to her grandmother and her sister was a mermaid. She lived happily ever after. The end.


"It's...lovely." Her mother told her.


"I'm going to send it in now."


"Okay. Honey."


^*^*^*^*^



My friend got me into the show Firefly, which has about 14 episodes and was cancelled in 2002. I'm quite bummed because I actually like the show. I can't wait to get my hands on the movie Serenity. I hope it's good. I'd heard from a different friend that it is.


I have to go now. I want to get some writing done on a story I'm writing, and I had a great idea for it in the shower earlier (most of my great inspirations come in the shower).


No comments:

Post a Comment