Thursday, August 16, 2007

Supernatural, That One Year Deal for Sam: My Speculations

I recently read a Supernatural fanfiction called "Ico" by EleanorRigbee. I recommend the story as it was very, very well-written with a really cool plot. The main plot of this story is that Dean traded his soul to Sam (jokingly) when they were kids. No matter that it was joke it counts none the less and when the demon comes to collects Dean's soul a year after "All Hell Breaks Loose Pt. 2" Sam informs her that because Dean had previously traded his soul that it wasn't his to trade. The demon can't beat this logic and leaves.


I hadn't really thought any further on that story. Tonight I was messing around in Photoshop. I was getting screencaps from StripedWall.com to mess around with. I opened up a picture and had a sudden revelation that I then had to run by my sister.


I'll try to be coherent and start at the beginning. We know from the episode "Crossroad Blues" that to make a deal with a crossroads demon a person has to first summon them, agree on a deal, and then kiss the demon (yeah, I still think being a crossroads demon would be a cool job). At the end of "All Hell Breaks Loose Pt. 1" Sam dies. The beginning of the season finale, "All Hell Breaks Loose Pt. 2," we see that Dean is distraught. He doesn't know how to move on. He can't let go of his little brother because he's got nothing else to live for. He goes to the nearest crossroads and makes a deal with the demon there. Evidence:



He agrees that in exchange for Sam being alive he will only have one year to live. Once the one year is up the demon will come to collect his soul.


Back up once again to "Crossroad Blues." Dean and Sam are trying to save a guy named Evan. Sam stays at the Evan's home to protet him while Dean drives to the crossroads and summons the demon. He has a devil's trap set up under the Impala and he tries to lure her into it. She sees a side of it as she's about to step in and moves away. Thinking he has no more triks up his sleeve she follows Dean under a water tower, where there is another devil's trap is drawn. She is trapped. Dean wants to deal. If Evan is released from his contract, then Dean will let the demon go. She refuses and Dean starts an exorcism. The demon finally agrees to the deal, the hell hounds stop going after Evan and Dean and the demon share a kiss. Evidence:



What if - and ths is a pretty big if - instead of trading the demon's freedom for Evan's release, he instead traded his soul for Evan? This would give Dean 10 years, and if he didn't know about if then it wouldn't be considered trying to wiggle out of his deal with the demon in "All Hell Breaks Loose Pt. 2." If this were true, then when the demon comes to collect she won't be able to because Dean's soul would have already been promised to the demon in "Crossroad Blues."


What do you think? I hadn't realized that Dean had actually made terms to the deal with the demon in "Crossroad Blues" until I re-watched the last couple of scenes to make sure I got my facts straight. That's a hole in my awesome theory. If you get nothing else out of this post, then at least check out the pictures. I learned a cool way to sharpen images using Photoshop (Other than using the Sharpen filter) and I've had fun sharpening pictures for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment