Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My Newest Wallpaper: It Goes With One of My Newest Fandoms

I've had a Stargate Atlantis wallpaper on my desktop for a couple weeks now and in all honesty, it was terrible. The picture wasn't good enough quality to be a wallpaper on it's own. I found a tutorial tonight (the text version is here and the video version is here). I did the tutorial once with the picture the tutorial maker used, then decided to use it to make a wallpaper with. The result is definitely not what I was planning, and that is a good thing. I love how it turned out.




I'm using the one with text for my wallpaper, but I wanted a copy without text. This took me about two hours to make. And I've had Erin come out a few times and look at it with a fresh set of eyes. I'm really proud of the fonts I chose and how well they work together. I've been reading a bunch (like two books and hundreds of websites) about typography, so it's really nice to actually do something with all the stuff that I've read.


For anyone who cares here some random information about the pieces of this wallpaper.

Fonts used:
For the big script-y "Mulder" and "Scully": One Fell Swoop, size 60pt (color: white, opacity: 100%).
For the big script-y "&": Mutlu, size 200pt (color: black, opacity: 50%).
For the quote text: Mongolian Baiti, size 16pt (color: black, opacity: 50%).
For the "Mulder" and "Scully" to mark who said what in the quotes: Impact, size 18pt (color: white, opacity: 100%, space between letters: 200).

Smoke brushes: The smoke brushes were made by falln-brushes and downloaded from http://www.falln-brushes.deviantart.com/. The link to the smoke brushes is in the text version of the tutorial listed above.

The original picture: Located here. I'd post the full address, but it is a long and disgusting URL.

No comments:

Post a Comment